Search This Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2010

What I am currently reading

I peruse the local used book store on a frequent basis looking for good reads to add to my collection.  Recently I picked up Nelson's Trafalgar: The Battle That Changed the World and The Nelson Companion for $2 each! 




It is a fascinating account of the main naval battle of the Napoleonic Wars, where the British fleet commanded by Lord Horatio Nelson engaged the combined fleet of the Spanish and French near Cadiz. The British decisively won the battle, effectively ending Napoleon's naval ambitions and any question of a sea invasion of England. Trafalgar was the last great naval battle between fleets of sailing ships, and led the way to the British domination of the seas during the 19th century.  In what I can only describe as foreshadowing, Nelson prepared for his demise during the battle, which inevitably did occur.







The Nelson Companion is a museum quality book full of many great photos, I would recommend both of these fine books to anyone interested in the Age of Sail or The Napoleonic wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment